Monday, September 29, 2014

Revel In: Brass Shades

 
I'm crazy about Brass these days. I love the warmth that this metal finish holds in comparison to cold steel and glaring polished gold (which can often give off a green tint). A lot of my older friends or clients hear the word brass and gasp. It's commonly associated with a dated look for some reason. Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for any finish. But the truth is, brass is very popular in the design world today as it is commonly offered as a finish option.
 
Brass is an alloy made of copper and zinc. Don't confuse it with bronze, because bronze is made up of copper and tin - an entirely different composition and finish. This particular finish dates back centuries, in use since prehistory! And it's copper element makes brass germicidal which means it prevents infection. Research is currently being conducted to determine whether brass, copper or other copper alloys can help reduce cross contamination in public facilities. You might not even know it, but you handle brass every day on your zippers.
 
All that technical favor is great, but above all it's beautiful. Even if you let the finish age it takes on a whole new beauty in its wear. It must be the copper. How can you not love the bright, pale teal domes of the observatory at Griffith Park? (Which were once copper.)
 
There has been a recent trend of brass shades on lamps and I couldn't be happier. I love this idea of a sort of refined industrial element in a room. Even with traditional lines, it's a clean and simple look. A table lamp becomes uncomplicated by the variations in base and shade. It seems to work in almost any space.
 
Above are some of my favorites on the market today that appeal to the "any space" I'm talking about. There's a vintage style from Circa Lighting, studious from Schoolhouse Electric, clean lines from Restoration Hardware and traditional from Pottery Barn.
 
I first fell in love with this idea when I saw Restoration's offering of the Antiqued Metal Drum in Antiqued Brass. But, was definitely bummed out when I realized it was far too large to fit on my nightstand. I've since re-set my sights on the Oliver Accent Lamp from Pottery Barn. Much more appropriate scale. Which is your favorite?
 
From Left to Right: Carlo Table Lamp from Circa Lighting $496, Oliver Accent Lamp from Pottery Barn $139, Pythagoras Table Lamp by Mary McDonald at Y Lighting $763, Antiqued Metal Drum Table Lamp from Restoration Hardware $499, Miles Desk Lamp from Schoolhouse Electric $275

No comments:

Post a Comment