Sunday, January 18, 2015

Bathroom Shelf Solution


I recently moved into a new apartment in West Hollywood. Our bathroom came with one of those over the toilet shelving systems, which for most people is a great storage solution and our bathroom is low on storage. However, low isn't always "not enough".

I found there to be plenty of storage under the sink, and more than enough in a nearby hall closet for items we don't use daily. Since our bathroom is on the small side, the first thing I wanted to do was get rid of the shelving system to open up the space. The room felt heavy and a little crowded.

But, it was kind of nice to have that hand towel right next to the sink. Without any type of hook next to the sink, it found a home on the corner of the shelving unit.

I knew I wanted to have a shelf again somehow, and I wanted it to be multi-purpose with a towel rod mounted underneath. At least, initially I wanted a rod, but there is already a rod on the nearby wall and it felt like it would be rod overkill. I searched all my favorite vendors online for shelving under twenty four inches wide and pretty shallow in depth with some sort of combination like I just described but had no luck.

So, I took matters into my own hands. I purchased the Umbra Simple Ledge Shelf in white from the Container Store. The dimensions were perfect and the white was coordinated with our vanity cabinetry, as well as easy to match for my next step. I purchased a magnetic hook from Home Depot to attach to my metal shelf for the easy hang of a hand towel (see below). Problem solved! And in a fairly chic way.


To top it all off, I found a "Welcome to the Neighborhood" coupon in our mail for fifteen percent off at West Elm and explored the possibilities for bathroom accessories.

Pretty much entirely from the clearance section, I was able to gather up some accessories that coordinated nicely with our dark grey Nate Berkus towels and a self-portrait that hangs above the shelf. I filled the dark grey "Dipping Bowl" with some patchouli potpourri. The patchouli scent reminds me of Tom Ford, the seventies and masculinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment