Monday, March 4, 2013

Video: Low


Does it mean that I'm "middle aged" if I'm obsessed with the 90's, since I lived through it and all? I find myself saying things like "the 90's was the best rock music ever made" and I frown in my head. Mid-life crisis aside, I just watched the Perks of Being a Wallflower and was pleasantly reminded of Cracker's "Low" and promptly downloaded it to my 90's rock playlist.


Even more entertaining than rocking out in LA traffic is learning about the music. I'm addicted to VH1's "Behind the Music". So, I did my research on the song and thought I'd share it all with you.

"Low" was realeased by Cracker in 1993 off their most successful album, Kerosene Heat. Their is not much official information on the song so I had read up on possible meanings posted online by fans.

The song (in several opinions) is an arguement between heroin (often compared to a girl) and it's addict. The drug is cemented by the lyrics "a million poppies gonna make me sleep" and "let the river flow" referencing the drug entering the veins. The drug (or girl) beckons the addict "Hey, don't you wanna go down? Like some junkie cosmonaut. A million miles below their feet" with the million miles representing the low after effects of the high.

And the addict yells back "I'll be with you girl, like being low. Hey, hey, hey like being stone". It appears the official lyric is "stone" and not "stoned" which is supposed to be a reference to being still while on the high. I've never used heroin so I can't speak from experience, I just love rock & roll.

And the video? Amazing. Why? Sandra Bernhard. She portrays a boxer (or the drug/girl) who beats down Cracker lead singer David Lowery.

No comments:

Post a Comment