Sunday, March 10, 2013

Swedish House Mafia Lounge

 
I've been inspired by music again. This time by Swedish electronic dance trio Swedish House Mafia after seeing their "One Last Tour" in downtown Los Angeles.  So, I've decided to create my own SHM Lounge (illustrated above) using their music, lyrics, and the video "Greyhound" for creative basis.


 

Let's start with this amazing sofa from 1st Dibs. This Reversible Techno Sofa is from French designer Wilmotte consists of three seperate pieces. Each back rest is able to to flip on it's central pivot to create a reversible seating arrangement. I wanted a sofa that was mechanical in it's design, like the greyhounds used in the SHM "Greyhound" video. There are also two side tables that attach to the sofa. This would be an amazing piece to divide a large room in a contemporary space.

 
Along with mechanical elements for this space, I also wanted to emphasize curves to reflect the arch of a greyhound's body. The Souffle Chair by Kelly Wearstler is curved, graphic, and comfortable. I went with custom colors in my illustration to complement the scheme of the room. The Three Piece Geometric Chrome Coffee Table is the best of both worlds, circular elements in a mechanical configuration.

 
The next element of this space would require quite a budget to accomplish. But, since this is all conceptual we will pay no mind to budget. The Shy Lighting Series by Bec Britian is inspired by crystalline structures. Each piece is constructed from modular hardware, can be suspended in any orientation and are available in custom finishes. From Left to Right; Shy 05, Shy 12, and Shy Beams.  

 
Underneath our space, I wanted a contemporary area rug that captured the decadence and detail of a masquerade. Masquerade is the theme of the "One Last Tour" and can also be seen in the "Greyhound" video where the people observing the race are wearing elaborate masks and costumes. Star Silk by Helen Amy Murray is hand knotted from silk, and the motif pattern is then carved into the surface by hand. Mechanical, contemporary, and elaborate.

 
One of my favorite gallery's in Los Angeles, Guy Hepner, had so many options for art that would look great in this space. However, when I came across "Untitled 6" by Tyler Shields I knew I had found the perfect piece. This image made me instantly think of the SHM mantra "We Come, We Rave, We Love" that I saw on concert tees while at their show. This would have to be a commisioned piece, since the size I used in my illustration is slightly larger than what is available through the gallery. The colors also establish the scheme to accessorize the room. Blue for the Souffle Chairs, and orange and reds for accessories.

 
 The accessories are bringing lots of color into this space. I knew I could count on Jonathan Adler for bright, free love, fun inspired accessories. I also knew there would be a recreational drug influence on his designs, which is fitting given the rave culture (disclaimer: I don't use drugs or endorse them). I wanted some kind of clock to reflect the idea of the greyhounds racing in the SHM video. The Velvet Twist Orange Pillow reminded me of the Souffle Chairs in it's construction. And of course, I had to have actual Greyhound's somewhere in the room! Clockwise from Top Left; Peace Globe, Laquer Hexagon Tray in Red, Pair of Blanc de Chine Italian Greyhounds, Font Clock by Sebastian Wrong, Velvet Twist Orange Pillow, Happy Needlepoint Pillow, Boucle Orange Pillow, and Sparkle Needlepoint Pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment