Monday, March 30, 2015

The Search for the Perfect Cereal Bowls


Moving into a new home is a great opportunity for a fresh start in the Kitchen. Especially when you've been living with the same dishes for over ten years.

My first set of dishes was given to me by my mom when I moved out to attend college in San Luis Obispo. When you think of college living, you probably picture a hand me down set of dishes with ramen on top. Fortunately for me, my mom puts great importance on dishes and my first set was a new, Tuscan inspired collection from Pier 1.

As you can imagine, our tastes change in the span of twelve years. I constantly have plans for new things in my own home. It's the designer's curse, really. And moving out into a new place this year has been a good reason to implement some of those changes. The Pier 1 set has seen five different kitchens after all.

I've been slowly replacing everyday utensils with gorgeous ones from Williams-Sonoma, mostly from the Open Kitchen Collection. It isn't easy on the pocket book, but thanks to a generous boyfriend (and some patience), one by one I'm finding new things in my drawers.

And thanks to extended family members and birthday gift cards, a new set of dishes finally found it's way onto my shelves. I fell in love with the Hue Dinnerware Set from Crate & Barrel and after much debate (I literally purchased a bowl in every color) I decided on the Light Grey color way. I was leaning towards green to accent my new hobby of collecting Jadeite, but Light Grey is a nice basic that I can grow with - using different linens, glassware and even bowls to change up the look in the future.

And bowls are where I've currently been holding debates in my mind. I love the idea of building a table with different pieces, the same way we build outfits from different stores or that a collection of furniture feels more personal than a dreaded Living Room Set. So, I've searched high and low for bowls that appeal to me, my existing kitchen and my budget. Then, inspiration struck while working on an entirely different project.

For a recent project in Berkeley, I've been sourcing every type of blush, pink, camel and nude colored anything. After a few weeks of research, I looked to my Runway board on Pinterest for fashion photos with blush tones to re-invigorate my creativity and I came across a photo (above) from a Dries Van Noten Spring 2015 show. Even though I've been leaning towards accenting my Kitchen with greens and blues (to work with the Jadeite and granite countertops), there is so much pink on the market that catches my eye. Here on the Dries Van Noten runway was every color that collaged together so beautifully. I had already been looking into the Latte Bowls from Anthropologie and trying to narrow down which color would look best, but why not all of them? Or at least, four.

So, the plan for now is to accent my new Light Grey Hue Dinnerware with Latte Bowls from Anthropologie in Daffodil, Apple, Seafoam and Vibrant Peach (below).


I'm pretty excited to solve the Cereal Bowl debate. Now I'm on the hunt for some Napkins to tie it all together, possibly some Chargers and then some Juice Glasses. A designer's job is never done!

Check out more pics from the Dries Van Noten Spring 2015 show here.

No comments:

Post a Comment