Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Music: I'm A Slave 4 U (Live)


Welcome to the jungle...on the MTV VMA's stage! Complete with lions, snakes, and dancers outfitted to resemble all the other creatures of a Wild and sexy jungle.


To know the significance of Britney Spears' "I'm A Slave 4 U" is to know Britney Spears before the media sensation that attempted to overshadow her career. Prior to "I'm A Slave 4 U" the world only knew Britney as the sweet, bubble gum pop, girl next door. "I'm A Slave 4 U" was what some call a musical attempt to leave that image behind and embrace a spot on the sticky dance floor for the twenty-one and older.
 
Written and produced by Pharrell Williams and Chad Hugo of the Neptunes, "I'm A Slave 4 U" appeared on Spears' third studio album, Britney. After reading the lyrics for the first time, Spears said it was, "about me just wanting to go out and forget who I am and dance and have a good time. That's kinda where I am right now. I love working, but at the same time, I love having a good time."
 
Some two weeks before it's official release, Spears debuted the song at the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards. Tan, sticky, bejeweled, and wearing an embellished barely-there-outift, she commanded the stage telling the audience, "all you people look at me like I'm a little girl". By far, not her most provocative appearance for MTV, but definitely one of her best.
 
The performance included an actual white tiger and a Burmese Python entangled on her shoulders. The snake-clad Spears has become one of her most iconic images and some called it a play on the Garden of Eden and "the Last Temptation".
 
Just one of the many performances that established Britney Spears as a Wild legend.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment