Thursday, December 26, 2013

Music: Love Spent (Live)


If there is one thing that I am over in "Alternative" music these days, it's the use of the banjo paired with claps and shouts of "Hey!". It seems the entire industry is jumping on this sound of the moment. So to be completely honest, I was a little turned off when I heard Madonna's "Love Spent" from her twelfth studio album, MDNA.


I am a committed Madonna fan. My collection of music from the Queen of Pop ranges from her well known hits, to underground limited release tracks and music featuring only religious chants in ancient languages. There really is nothing from Madonna that I can't find musical pleasure in.

It's not that I don't enjoy "Love Spent", but Jimmy Fallon didn't help when he compared the song to Mumford & Sons in an exclusive interview with Madonna.

And then, like only Madonna can do, she switched it up.

For the MDNA Tour she took "Love Spent" and stripped it down to pretty bare essentials. In an intimate section of the concert she focuses on it's emotional lyrics inspired by her divorce from Guy Ritchie in 2008. For lack of a better word, it's beautiful.

Which makes it my favorite re-invention of 2013 for my Best of 2013 features. Check it out below and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment