Thursday, September 26, 2013

Rowlan Lofts Living Room


Since I have just ended all things Tom and am in between topics, I thought I would share a project that I have been working on. It's a design for a Bachelor's Loft at the Rowland Lofts in downtown Los Angeles.


The unit I've used for this project overlooks the interior courtyard of the building with all windows in the apartment facing it. Here is an overall floor plan of the space.


This particular post is going to focus on the Living Room. My inspiration for this project came from the brilliant Marc Jacobs and his Spring 2010 show for Louis Vuitton. The show was an urban safari of sorts. Military style jackets layered over tweed and exotic prints with dip-dyed bags and fox tails on top of afro-puff clad models. We'll get into some imagery in a bit.

If you're looking at the above floor plan. The east wall of the Living Room is going to be a feature wall. I'm imagining the walls and floor in this space to be finished concrete. Within the two concrete support posts on this east wall will be an art installation by Retna.


Retna is a Los Angeles street artist known for his modern day "hieroglyphic" art. I like the ethnic quality of this art for this contemporary, masculine, safari design. The installation is planned to cover the entire wall. I wonder if this will increase the property value?

Here are some inspiration photos from Louis Vuitton's Spring 2010 show.


I'm going to use all elements from this legendary show - even the afro-puff - to inspire my furnishings and design plan. The military/safari elements of the utility jackets and leather shoes, the knit tweeds and whimsical prints, and the dip-dyed element.

Let's lay out the Space Plan for the Living Room.


The focus of my sofa is directed at the windows in the space to keep the focus on our courtyard view. I don't have a television planned for the top of the media console, instead I plan to outfit the window in this room with blackout shades on a remote track and a projector system for our television across from the sofa dropping from the ceiling (like you see in the rendering at the beginning of this post).

Behind the sofa we have a console that doubles as a desk. Next to the desk, I've found a massive tribal sculpture from 1st Dibs to welcome visitors to the space from the front door. Here is part one of the furnishings.


Bear with me on the layout of the numbers, they correspond to a space plan legend you'll soon see. 1. Is the 16th Century French Beam Sculpture I mentioned as our welcoming piece. It's tribal in style and natural in composition. 2. The console behind the sofa that doubles as a desk. I love this mix of contemporary framing wrapped in woven natural material on the Federal Console Table by Samare. Note the ledge that can stow away a laptop. 3. Accompanying this chair is the Metis Chair by Samare. 4. I told you I'd channel the afro puff on Vuitton's models, using the Sferis Table Lamp which will sit on the console. 5. Next to my sofa is the Porcelain Mortar Stool/Side Table by Tucker Robbins for additional seating or drink placement while relaxing on the... 5. Borge Morgensen 3-Seater Sofa. Though it was designed in 1960, the lines are clean and the upholstery is masculine, worn-in safari-esque complimenting Vuitton's runway shoes. 7. I chose this Stainless Steel and Wood Coffee Table to bring another element of metal into the room, following the console table. And if you look closely the base resembles the strap fasteners on Vuitton's bags from the Spring 2010 show. 8. Inspired by the fluid and tribal prints on Vuitton's models, this Diamond White Area Rug by Fort Studio sits beneath all our furnishings.

Let's take a look at the South wall in front of our windows (the rendering at the beginning of this post).


The Porcelain Mortar Stool/Side Table makes another appearance for the chair farthest from the coffee table. 9. I love the draped linen on this Sundial Chair. Very safari and still masculine. Of course, I'd pick an upholstery color complementary to the design. 10. Over each chair that flanks the media console I've planned a Tolomeo Floor Lamp. 11. The Kinkaid Media Console is inspired by another particular piece from the runway. This slatted design appears on a backpack (below).


The interior panels on the Kinkaid Media Console doors come in a basic white linen. This means you could change them out with any fabric imaginable. Keep in mind, if you're housing speakers in the console you'll need to choose a fabric to allow sound to travel through. But, if there are no speakers inside, how about some prints from Zak + Fox or Christopher Farr?

 

On top is Strata Study from Zak + Fox and below that Palma by Michael Szell from Christopher Farr. Both fun options for the media console doors.

Of course, I wouldn't be a decorator if I didn't pick out some pillows! I looked for greens, blues, and greys in dip-dye styles, leathers, safari fringe (like those fox tails), or designs that mimic the knit pieces from Vuitton.


Clockwise from top left: Carlos Cotton Pillow in Multi $85, Roar Pillow $39.95, Ranch Pillow $59.95, Mixed Cushion in Cream/Green $49, and Goal Pillow in Grey $85.

Here is a legend for the space plan to match up my items.


No comments:

Post a Comment