Sunday, July 21, 2013

Music: Baby I Love U!


My favorite Jennifer Lopez album of her career, This is me...Then. And another one of my favorite songs celebrating Romance, "Baby I Love U!".

This is me...Then was suggested as a title by then fiance Ben Affleck (remember Bennifer? Remember that engagement ring?!) and Lopez thought it perfect. It captured the very essence of what she wanted the album to represent which was a window into who she was at the time. And who she was was a girl head over heels.


Which is exactly the theme of a majority of songs on the album, including the incredibly sappy "Dear Ben" (another favorite love song of mine) in which she openly sings to Affleck of her love for him. In fact the album was dedicated to Affleck on the disc jacket with "You are my life ... my sole inspiration for every lyric, every emotion, every bit of feeling on this record". Pretty powerful stuff.

Which leads us to the fourth single from her third studio album, "Baby I Love U!". Far less intense than "Dear Ben", for this song Lopez instead is like a giddy school girl gushing over Affleck. I've always been drawn to Lopez since she seems like a hopeless romantic (like me), and lyrics like "Blessed and cursed on the same day, the day I felt first the power of you, inside of me" cement this idea.

The song features a "haunting" sample of the theme from Midnight Cowboy. The video is stripped down to bare essentials featuring Lopez in clean make-up and romping around her house like a smitten kitten. At a time when their relationship was smothered on every media outlet in the world, it was a refreshing simplistic look at the pop star. Look for yourself below.

No comments:

Post a Comment