Thursday, July 18, 2013

Music: Black & Gold


It only seems fitting after seeing India Mahdavi's bedroom vision of pink, black, and gold that I share some more "Black & Gold". This time from Mr. Sam Sparro.


Sparro is an Australian singer, songwriter, and producer, the son of a gospel minister and an early admirer of Chaka Kahn (and we feel for him). His debut album, Sam Sparro, has since been followed by Return to Paradise but all I need to do to return to paradise is hear "Black & Gold".

"It's about God, yeah...I do like to have faith in something that is bigger than me". This is a new revelation for me but fitting given his gospel roots. An exploration of the relationship between reason, spirituality, and love with inventive lyrics such as "if vision is the only validation, than most of my life isn't real".

Even better than the original track, which has been covered by artists such as Katy Perry, is the acoustic version which undoubtedly highlights Sparro's soulful voice accompanied by only a piano.

It's definitely in my top five for Romance tracks. Listen for yourself. You can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment